TBH Forums - We Win Free Shit

Go Back   TBH Forums - We Win Free Shit > Entertainment > Goodfellas

Old 09-15-2017, 08:46 AM   #1951
L

Just came back from mother!.. I knew there was a bit of a divisive reaction the movie so far, and some of it seemed to stir a little controversy, so I was expecting something a bit hectic... But jesus. This is like top 10 most WTF movies I've ever seen. Just fucking chaos. I don't know how to interpret it, or whether I can even be bothered reading interpretations of it, but I enjoyed it. It was hard to take my eyes off at just how crazy it was. Very well performed and directed madness.

I don't often see people walk out of a movie, but there was one couple who definitely noped out at the part that I'm guessing is what stirred some controversy. I can't blame them, but at the same time, surely they expected something crazy.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:28 AM   #1952
advo
TBH Partner

Got bored. Rewatched the Fincher version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

That movie was fantastic and deserving of a sequel.

advo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:51 PM   #1953
GOAT

I watched Fincher's masterpiece last night

Zodiac - Great stuff. This movie has no right to be half as good as it is. Yet not only is it good, it's fantastic. The sitdown interview scene with John Carol Lynch is sooooooo good.

The Bad Batch - Meh. The ending did make me laugh, so the movie succeeded there, but I didn't really see that same dark comedy throughout the rest of it. Couldn't really tell what it wanted to be. I'm sure the director thinks they were being weird and artsy enough to impress Reddit and whoever, but it was mostly blah. Jason Momoa plays a Cuban for some reason and that goes about how you'd expect it to, because he's a really shitty actor who needs to stay in his wheelhouse. Keanu is in it to obviously try and be an internet meme, so that was kind of entertaining. I'll give them credit for filming on location, it's a good looking and well directed movie. And I'll give them credit for Suki Waterhouse, she's very watchable but her name basically ensures that I'll hate her forever. But yeah, this ain't the weirdo masterpiece that it probably thinks it is.
GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:11 PM   #1954
Madvillain
Rocketeer

Theater near me had a sold-out showing of The Goonies. I love the movie already, but it was super cool to be there and see it in a 1,000 seat theater. Great time all around and still a really fun movie.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:29 PM   #1955
CALLMEKURTANGLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by L View Post
Just came back from mother!.. I knew there was a bit of a divisive reaction the movie so far, and some of it seemed to stir a little controversy, so I was expecting something a bit hectic... But jesus. This is like top 10 most WTF movies I've ever seen. Just fucking chaos. I don't know how to interpret it, or whether I can even be bothered reading interpretations of it, but I enjoyed it. It was hard to take my eyes off at just how crazy it was. Very well performed and directed madness.

I don't often see people walk out of a movie, but there was one couple who definitely noped out at the part that I'm guessing is what stirred some controversy. I can't blame them, but at the same time, surely they expected something crazy.

I saw it yesterday. I have never been more bored in my entire life.

I have seen some WTF movies so this ain't shit. Sure, the last 20 minutes were everywhere but not nearly as disturbing as people are making it out to be. That scene particular would have probably been more disturbing if it didn't look a little comical.

1/10. First half is some of the most boring piece of garbage I ever seen. I saw it at like 5 in the evening and almost passed out from boredom. Fuck this movie.
CALLMEKURTANGLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:46 AM   #1956
L

To each their own. Can't say I'm surprised some people really hated it, especially as a lot of people seemed to be expecting a home invasion movie or something, but it's about what I'd expect from a kind of surrealist Aronofsky movie.

The part with the baby didn't really do much for me, strangely, but the close up shot of the beating was pretty intense, I thought.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:32 PM   #1957
CALLMEKURTANGLE

TBF, I only saw this movie because of the controversy surrounding it. People were calling this one of the most disgusting movies that they ever seen. I even read about the baby scene beforehand. Pretty much the only expectations that I had for the movie was to be disgusted. I just couldn't help but be so bored from it all.

If you really really hate being a part of crowds then this movie will give you some extreme anxiety. Other than that, I just feel this movie didn't deliver in truly horrifying you.

The beating looked pretty bad, yea. I really felt bad for her. The whole film is metaphor for mother Earth and how humanity tends to shit on it all while using religious undertones.

Last edited by CALLMEKURTANGLE; 09-27-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:13 AM   #1958
L

I'm not so sure about that metaphor, that's certainly one interpretation though. I sort of saw it more as something to do with the creative process, and I read a theory on the reddit discussion thread that was basically along those lines, and I felt like that fit more in line with what occurred in the movie.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:00 PM   #1959
CALLMEKURTANGLE

Darren Aronofsky has stated what the film is about: “the structure of the film was the Bible, using that as a way of discussing how humans have lived here on Earth. . . . I sort of wanted to tell the story of Mother Nature from her point of view.”

It's also his view on climate change. Kristen Wig at one point says "Man, is it hot in here or is it just me?"

Javier is God, Jennifer is Mother Earth, Ed is Adam, Michelle is Eve. The diamond is the forbidden fruit. Their sons are Cain and Abel.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:46 AM   #1960
L

Well that's fucking lame, I'm not going to lie. Part of the reason why I didn't really want to unravel it.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:24 PM   #1961
CALLMEKURTANGLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by L View Post
Well that's fucking lame, I'm not going to lie. Part of the reason why I didn't really want to unravel it.
I feel you. In hindsight, I wish I went into this movie not knowing anything about it. I loved the trailer because it was a throwback to 70s horror but I decided to see it after reading the controversy surrounding it. I just knew everything and didn't care when it was being unraveled.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:51 AM   #1962
L

Yeah, fair enough. I didn't so much care for what was actually going on, but I just found it entertaining to just experience. Like, it was just so chaotic and well done I felt, regardless of what you thought of the writing/story/whatever. I kinda knew whatever explanation there was going to be for it, would be a bit lame. All this kind of shit that relies so heavily on symbolism and mystery seems to be a bit lame once understood. At least to me, it often does.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:59 PM   #1963
GOAT

Like 15 minutes of Assassin's Creed - I loathe these video games. They have by far the most idiotic story and gimmick to them that I've ever seen in gaming. So a movie about them wasn't going to work for me no matter what. But I gave this a chance anyways and watched for roughly 15 minutes or so, and couldn't believe how immediately fucking boring it was. Just boring. I couldn't abide. This movie sucks, the games suck, and if you like them you're a fucking idiot.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:59 PM   #1964
L

The first few were fun enough initially, but the present day stuff was always boring as fuck. I can't believe the movie supposedly focuses on that shit the most. The games are all super repetitive, and I haven't touched them since like AC3. It's good they calmed down and took a bit more time for the new one, but it still just looks kinda lame. The only thing that'd bring me back is either a Japanese setting or multiplayer. I wouldn't care how dumb the story is, or repetitive the gameplay is if I could play as a ninja. I fucking loved Tenchu back in the day.

I actually loved the multiplayer when they had it on AC though. Provided an actual different style of game from every other game online, and required a little thinking/strategy.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:08 AM   #1965
GOAT

They took a long developmental cycle for that one in London too, and that sucked dick as well. AC is just a shit franchise.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:38 AM   #1966
Lord Steels
Wrestles Pot

Assasins Creed games have pretty good commercials.

Lord Steels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:52 AM   #1967
L

Yeah, the trailers are outstanding usually. Although, none have jumped out as much as the first few lately. Revelations one is the best, with that Woodkid song.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:38 PM   #1968
B_R
Umm....What?

I just watched it the other day. Wasn't too bad I suppose.

B_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:44 AM   #1969
L

I watched both Blade Runner movies today, back to back, and honestly.. I think this sequel may actually be better than the original. I go back & forth on how much I like Blade Runner. Sometimes it blows me away, and I love it, other times I find it a bit slow to get going (but it always finishes strong). This sequel really focused in on Gosling's character and the story they've got going here. It's got a lot more going on than the original, plot-wise, and it honestly surprised the shit out of me with how it dealt with the narrative in a couple brilliant & simple ways.

Spoiler!

What a welcome surprise it was to have Harrison Ford really turn up for this movie and give a solid performance. It's been a long ass time since I've seen him really try. We got some of his best moments in this movie, I think.

Even though it's a sequel no one wanted, and it's already off to being a bomb, I'm so glad this movie got made. I've found most of Villeneuve's work pretty damn overrated. Arrival, Sicario (past the first half hour) & Incendies are all pretty damn boring movies if you ask me, so I was nervous about this one, but man it really delivered. He did seem suited for the role, even though I'm not a fan, but I'm so glad he had such a strong script to work with. Really loved it, even though it's nearly 3 hours, it really flew by.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:09 PM   #1970
Bomber#3468
Try The Veal, Child!

Kingsmen: The Golden Circle, this movie is neither far better or worse than the first Kingsmen movie. I think we expect sequels to great movies to go in either direction, but Kingsmen 2 is just as good as the first one. I think some people are mad its basically just as good and really not a next step, but Vaughn sticks in his wheel house in what made the first Kingsmen great and just kinda played in that world more than expanding. The Statesmen are probably the most it expands, but even then, its on a very small level, its still Eggsy's movie.

Blade Runner: 2049, its long, its a very long, nearly 3 hour movie, but its fuckin gorgeous. I dont think you feel that length until the middle of the story, but then a new turn comes that takes you till the very end and you really arent looking at the time again. Gosling plays his character great, Ford is fun again to watch be a grumpy old man, Leto is more scary in two scenes than anything he did with Joker and the technology is both grounded and superfantastic like it was in the first movie.

This movie should be seen, cause its better than the first Blade Runner and its gorgeous filmmaking, that you can probably just get lost into watching the visuals for 3 hours, meanwhile the story is a good mystery that gives Gosling something to be a detective over.

Italian FIRE
Bomber#3468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:11 AM   #1971
Bomber#3468
Try The Veal, Child!

Cult of Chucky, i Love the CHucky movies. They are b-film camp to the finest. This one is a direct sequel to the last movie, 'Curse of Chucky' and has a character from that that plays the main role here. These movies really never rebooted or remade, they all still follow a thru line all the way from the first Childs Play and i love that about it. Some great deaths, good scene chewing and over the top camp to keep you entertained.

The Babysitter, this was on Netflix. I think it was a Netflix special, but was enjoyable. The movie does its best to kinda be a mix of the on the nose tone of Cabin in the Wood mixed with the ideals of Scream for the slasher genre. Its a bit all over the place, there feels like there was more ideas thought up, then there was actual plots written. But most the actors are enjoyable enough that you deal with the big plot holes.

Thor: Ragnorak, wrote about it in the MCU thread, but easily the best Thor movie. Everyone does a great job in their roles. Taika Waititi kills it as director and voice of Korg. Action. Comedy. Hulk. fun times.

Italian FIRE
Bomber#3468 is offline   Reply With Quote

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 100
A. Edwards, advo, Arch, AriseChickenArise, Brock, B_R, CALLMEJASONJORDAN, CALLMEKURTANGLE, CanAsian, Captain British, Captain Canadian, CBW, Classick, CompanyJesus, darkxeno, Darth Vader, Deadman, Derp, detinic, dRail, FA7AL!, Fenix, Fieldy, Game420, Gary, Gaz, Ginger Rogers, Glen Metropolit, GOAT, H, Hail Grabovski, Highlite, Ichiban, JL!, jock, Jon Pierre-Paul, jstudabaka, Kane, Kilg3r, L, Liar Is My Daddy, Limbo, Lord Steels, Madvillain, MERGE Pro Show Poster, merobb, Mike, Mr. Pat, MS Vice, N7 LAMBO, Night, NoMo201469, ODonnell, Oscar, Panel, Patrick Bateman, phil, Preacher, Psychopathic, pusha, QL, QuietStorm, Retiredkar, rexant, rolstrol, SATO, Sean Knight, Shredder, Shylock, SPUMMIES, Staind77, Stamos, starvinmarvin, Sui, SupernovaPhil88, Sym, ThaMessiah, The Heel, TheGigolo, THunter48, Timmy, Trooper, Übermensch, Vash, Yitzy, Yoyo, Zoso, || Oly ||