TBH Forums - We Win Free Shit

Go Back   TBH Forums - We Win Free Shit > Entertainment > Goodfellas

Old 07-17-2017, 01:08 AM   #1951
L

The Invitation really is a great movie that seemed to come out nowhere. Just a perfect slow building tense movie. It really could have been undone had the last thirty minutes not delivered, and I was worried it may not.

There's been a few of these kinds of movies that fizzle out at the end, but this one stuck the landing, but also had a damn strong final minute too. Like, that last scene was a perfect way to close out the movie.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:25 PM   #1952
GOAT

Invitation is great. It does such a good job of making you realize there's something WAY off about all of this, but at the same time there's a subtlety to it where you also think maybe this dude actually is just kind of nuts given his emotional state, and that's going to be the "twist".
GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:17 AM   #1953
My Name is Bomber.
Try The Veal, Child!

War for the Planet of the Apes, to be honest, when the 'Rise' movie was coming out like 5-6 years ago or however long it was, i was thinking that it was an unnecessary reboot again for sake of bringing a familiar product for people to see for name value alone. Especially since it was seemingly a James Franco project.

But god damn if that first movie, Rise wasn't surprisingly good. It was obviously heavily on the human side more than the other movies, but it had to be to set up the overall story, but even then it was easy to see that Caesar might be Andy Serkis' best work. Then in 'Dawn' they went full blown with the war between the humans and apes and the CGI improved even more wich how the Apes looked out in nature.

So we come to War and its...i dont know if its better than 'Dawn' which might be a better overall film, but this one maybe is the best storytelling. A lot of this movie is spoken in grunts and sign language, maybe actual talking is less than 25% of screen time and so much is told without anything being said just by the visuals. A lot of these Apes have been part of all the films, so you really get into the stories behind them all. Plus this one introduces a few new character and elements to the series that really work.

Italian FIRE
My Name is Bomber. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:23 PM   #1954
L

Baby Driver - 4/4. This finally came out, and I think it's probably my favourite Edgar Wright movie. I honestly loved everything about the movie. Right from the start, until the end, I was just loving this movie. Even though they're nothing alike, this invites the same joy The Nice Guys did for me last year. Just a damn fun movie, with great characters, and some exciting action. The only thing I would have liked is if it was a little longer and we had more scenes between Baby & Deborah.

Spoiler!

Dunkirk - 3/4. Not a lot to say about this that hasn't been said already. Inevitably there's going to be an anti-Dunkirk circle jerk considering it's Nolan and hyped up as crazy with praise, and I do think that the praise was a bit too high personally. I don't think it 100% worked, simply because there really was no characters. He still manages to make this a nonstop tense movie, though, but it was hard to give a shit about the characters because they didn't even seem like that had names, except for like.. Tom Hardy. I did really enjoy it though, I loved how it just starts in the middle of the shit storm, and doesn't relent even more a moment. It's a good movie, but in my opinion, not a great one. But I'm happy that Nolan's getting the praise he deserves, maybe this will win him the Oscar.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:00 PM   #1955
My Name is Bomber.
Try The Veal, Child!

John Hamm was incredible in Baby Driver. I think it was the first time since The Town where someone used him like the movie star he should be by now. Full of charm and charisma.

Italian FIRE
Old 07-22-2017, 11:39 PM   #1956
L

I think Hamm is partly to blame for his lack of major success post-Mad Men. Dude has taken mostly comedic movie roles, and they're shitty ones too.. But yes, he was a real standout of the movie. I hope he gets some more good roles like it.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:48 AM   #1957
GOAT

Hamm is one of the greatest actors alive. It's not his fault that Hollywood is a cesspool of reboots, remakes, sequels, franchises, etc. That shit obviously doesn't interest the guy. It's pretty hard to go work for these hack Hollywood writers/directors after having a genius like Matt Weiner write for you for nearly 10 years.

Speaking of which:

I rewatched Rogue One since it's on Netflix and I wanted to see just how dumpster fire it was on a second viewing. And it didn't disappoint. What a terrible movie. It's like every bit as bad and messy as Batman vs. Superman, but because it's Disney's "new" Star Wars everyone sucked its dick. Basically everything I hate about movies today is in this movie. Right down to its mix and match of ethnic groups for the cast. I didn't give a shit about anyone in this movie.

Note to Hollywood: Why in fuck is it so difficult to find REAL PEOPLE who simply resemble past actors? Like...this shit can't be that hard to cast. You shouldn't need to make computer masks of people's faces for these awkward looking scenes like this movie did. It was fucking horrific to watch.

This movie is should be considered one of the biggest abortions to come out of Hollywood in the past 20 years, but people actually like it. Because that's how fucking stupid audiences have become.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:49 AM   #1958
L

I agree it sucked, I didn't hate it like you did, but it was super fucking boring with no characters. Surely you can agree that the Darth Vader scene was badass though.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #1959
GOAT

It was but it's exactly the problem these movies have. You establish nothing new. The only cool shit in the movie is the member berries, or their "new" material or characters that are just direct ripoffs of shit they've already done. Force Awakens was just as bad, although definitely a better movie than Rogue One even though it was also fairly mediocre at best.

I remember reading an early report from Rogue One, I don't know if it was ever a cut, or just a script idea, or what, that a lot of the movie was going to be Vader hunting down the rebels like the Terminator and I was just thinking fuck would I have much rather watched that movie.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:49 PM   #1960
HateWatchersDiet

I still enjoyed Force Awakens but I haven't seen it since opening night. I still remember every mofo here praising Rogue One and saying that it was way better than Force Awakens.

I didn't like Rogue One at all. Just a nothing movie for the sake of making it. Garbage

Last edited by HateWatchersDiet; 07-23-2017 at 06:51 PM.
HateWatchersDiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:12 PM   #1961
O'Haire
Let's pretend I give a shit and leave it at that

It was indeed a pointless movie. We have known since A New Hope that they are successful at getting the Deathstar plans. There was no tension at all. Just an easy SW movie for Disney to shit out and get some more money.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:31 PM   #1962
GOAT

Yeah. Much like most of these reboots/prequels whatever the fuck, it's simply a pointless movie. It has no reason to exist as it doesn't even tell an interesting story about how we got from point A to point B. Like what was the great reveal of this movie? Why did we need to watch it? It's just a soulless exercise to get money and it's becoming more and more common in Hollywood today.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:02 AM   #1963
GOAT

Nice Guys - What an awesome movie, shame it didn't find an audience because they were trying to set it up as a franchise. It's really the spiritual sequel to Lethal Weapon, there's so many nods to Lethal Weapon series in this movie. Crowe, who is terrible in everything nowadays was awesome here. Gosling, who is a mopey douchebucket is actually having a good time for a change. And the kid actor is great. It's nice to watch a movie that is just fucking fun for a change.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:19 AM   #1964
H

Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father 4.5/5
Not sure if anyone here has seen this but if you haven't I recommend it. It's a documentary, if your into that sort of thing and man was it painful to watch. I mean I couldn't begin to fathom going through what that family went through. Just thinking about it makes me sick, angry, sad... all sorts of emotions. Definitely something that will get all sorts of emotions flowing.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:53 PM   #1965
Kuntar

When I watched that, I was sitting on the edge of my seat the entire time. I didn't move or get up once. And when the big reveal happened, I was beyond angry. Like, ready to punch anything. Very powerful documentary. I'd recommend it too, just make sure you're in the mood to get real pissed off.

Instagram

Kuntar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:17 PM   #1966
B_R
Your mother was a hampster!

Showing The Sandlot tonight at the campground. One of my favorites as a kid

B_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:16 PM   #1967
My Name is Bomber.
Try The Veal, Child!

John Wick: Chapter 2, finally got around to watching it tonight. I think its a good sequel but not better than the first. Everything leading up to the first real big action sequence of the movie was steady and setting up the table for not only the rest of the movie but beyond, but after that Rome action sequence, the movie just keeps going and going with lot of great moments for Wick.

I like how its so closely follows the first movie and a third film will probably only take place an hour after this one. Its a really well written film in how it expands on its universe of hitmen and their way of doing things with currency and hotels. Seeing things go international was good too. Keanu is just great in this role and look forward to Ch. 3.

Italian FIRE
The Following User Says Thank You to My Name is Bomber. For This Useful Post:
B_R (09-04-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 03:31 PM   #1968
jstudabaka

I saw "Signal" the other day. 6.5-7/10. Not a bad cyberpunk movie. It involves a bunch of hackers tracing a signal they picked up on their computer gear, following it, and ending up in an Area-51 type place mixed up in cybernetic transformations. Lawrence Fishburne is the head scientist guy in a space-suit, so it's legit. Pretty awesome ending too.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:22 PM   #1969
My Name is Bomber.
Try The Veal, Child!

Ingrid Goes West, this is a fantastic dark comedy. It works around the pure strength of Aubrey Plaza. Elizabeth Olsen playing that glamorous 'Instagram famous' personality is great too, kinda against what type of characters you usually see her in, not typically so vapid. Film is a simple concept that a depressed and lonely woman just clings on these fake friendships she makes up in her mind and then takes it too far and becomes to clingy and fake when they meet in real life.

Ice Cubs kid is also great in like his second acting role, but hes really natural and plays this just normal dude who digs Batman and likes to write screenplays. Its nothing over the top, there really only a few crazy moments in the film, the rest just sits back and enjoys the character interactions and situations.

Italian FIRE
Old 09-11-2017, 03:39 AM   #1970
GOAT

Independence Day Resurgence - Man this movie sucked. How is a sequel to a top 4 greatest movie ever made, starring Jeff Goldblum and Bill Pullman so terrible? Like 90% of the movie seems as if it's filmed on the worst green screen ever. Even scenes that seriously don't require a green screen at all. The scale feels so much smaller with this movie despite it being significantly larger, if that makes any sense. It also moves a mile a minute. There's like zero tension over anything. So it's basically Jurassic World, only as Independence Day. Everyone's in "danger" but not really any danger.

The new actors all suck. Jesse Usher as new Will Smith rofl yeah right. He's about as wooden and uncharismatic as you can get. And there's that one Hemsworth who nobody really likes but keeps getting work because he's good looking.

Also Judd Hirsch drives around a schoolbus of kids for most of the movie. He's not a busdriver or anything, it just happens. Also what the fuck is with the Dr Okun guy? This movie makes it out like he was some main character with a backstory and shit, yet he's in ID for like 5 minutes and dies except he doesn't actually die.

Movie badly missed Randy Quaid. Or a suitable Randy Quaid replacement.

Please stop rebooting shit. Especially with such little effort. This even tries to set up a sequel lololol.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:54 PM   #1971
HateWatchersDiet

No one has seen IT?

6/10. Far from scary with shit CGI. Nonetheless, it was harmless, nicely made, and if anything a good tribute to the book and film.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:08 PM   #1972
B_R
Your mother was a hampster!

My friend said IT was more of a comedy to her than an actual horror film

B_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:49 PM   #1973
HateWatchersDiet

I keep reading that. Lot of people said there was too much comedy. I have no idea what parts were so hilarious
Old 09-14-2017, 02:23 AM   #1974
L

It's got a good amount of comedy, I think. It wasn't hilarious, but it was pretty funny I thought. I loved it as a coming of age movie, but when it came to the actual horror parts, it was kind of disappointing. Once they have the major scene at that house, it definitely becomes a lot more tense, but up until them the horror felt really random & 100% jump scare based.

I hate it when horror movies go into like loud music action mode, because it's usually not that scary, especially if it hasn't been built up sufficiently, and the movie just kept going into that mode throughout, so the tension didn't really build for me. The CGI certainly didn't help make it any scarier, either. That seemed to be a complaint on the directors last movie, Mama, so it's a shame he's relied on it again.

I still enjoyed the movie, but I was really expecting something better considering how strong the horror/thriller genre has been lately. I would have enjoyed it more had someone more deft at horror helmed the movie, I think. I hope the sequel is an improvement.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:11 PM   #1975
Captain British
Hashtag Zult

I've watched some stuff....The Big Sick, Dunkirk and Baby Driver.....I'm just stunned at so much originality more than anything

All are strong though, but Baby Driver went a bit overboard with it's music thing at times, but obviously that's the whole purpose of it, so that'll be a personal thing. Like I bet some absolutely loved the intro....I was a bit mixed on it. But the rest of it was a lot of fun as expected from Wright.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 382
A. Edwards, Abcegfeick, abookzBege, advo, AidanSype, AkopyaNCip, AlbertJatt, Alexeyganny, Alfredfus, Aliccasshek, AliceKen, AllaBip, alobbygeacle, AltusWels, AnatoliyFurl, Andrewaxob, AndreyHah, AnnaHes, AnnaJimmyfaw, Annaliz, ANormanLapy, Aqeznild, Arbicsborgo, Arch, AriseChickenArise, ArstonyCar, ArthurLof, Avogadrocig, Awardery, BillyLergo, Blacklemore, blertoorgo, bonaoccuraMar, BorisCerb, BradleyMimb, BrandonEa, BrianPrecy, Brock, BrontobbOa, B_R, CameronNef, CanAsian, Captain British, Captain Canadian, CBW, Charleshab, CharlesPymn, CharlesWot, charmdatepi, CharmingGox, ChngogoHot, Cinnagync, cipsKesy, Classick, Cliffjok, CompanyJesus, CorwynDigo, Cruidoesorie, CurtisJab, Cyruset, DanielUnfaw, Danielvak, DannisRop, darkxeno, Darth Vader, Davidavase, DavidBub, DavidMaype, DavidSar, Deadman, Deckardpn, Denpoksoky, Derp, DerrickRat, detinic, DewittRig, DiegoOi, Diegopah, DimajenD, Discord, Dmitriyhiz, DouglasSl, dRail, EdgarFrown, EdwardArell, Edwardkl, Edwardtype, EdwasrdRex, Efraindow, Emeldatab, Enigma, ereflez, EugeneTic, FA7AL!, Fabioched, fagMampraiff, FarmonRews, FedorLege, Fenix, Fermkneenny, Fieldy, flertoorgo, Flietteevove, FolleckMef, Francisevise, Francisloave, frankca60, FrankQuoni, Frgeti44, FrincesFromo, Gambaltach, Game420, Garthmeers, Gary, Gaz, Geergeseits, GeorgeBains, GeorgeCok, GeorgeHele, Ginger Rogers, Givessvone, glatoximin932, Glen Metropolit, GOAT, GorokWalp, GoshanNsk, GregoryHem, GrigoriyDob, Grompelcymn, H, hahuvoibimat, Hail Grabovski, HamilBip, HateWatchersDiet, HatthewCync, HAYA8U5A, Highlite, HotherStype, Howardnam, Ichiban, Igorbob, IgorrUg, IrmakHeer, Irmakpola, Ivanfum, Ivantek, JamesAwast, JamesDiam, Jameshet, Jamessah, JamesSkeda, Januszek45lax, JasonBum, Jasonhak, JefferyZer, JeremyAvamn, JeromeClaig, Jerrygolve, JessieGut, JL!, jlertoorgo, jock, Joesphpaymn, Jon Pierre-Paul, JorgesTaP, Jornsl, JosefRok, JosephBAL, Josephpr, JosephSn, JosephWap, jstudabaka, Juliopob, JustinKem, Justinuntor, KaleschMi, Kane, KennethCoup, KennethRency, Keyclecupe, Kilg3r, Konradrah, KulakOr, L, LaimonasJeuneese, lalslink, Lameonnews42mr, Lamontbeni, LanceVen, LarryGuape, Larrysteri, LavernNob, LegoBoy223Mi, Leonardgob, Lestershoelldycle, Liar Is My Daddy, Limbo, Lindsitharo, Lloydtaway, Lohcin, Lord Steels, Lstroccub, Madvillain, MakasJink, malylows, Marcusjini, MarcusPymn, MarioKep, MatthewKet, Mavavto, Maxim, MERGE Pro Show Poster, merobb, Michaelbum, Michaeldaymn, Michaeldwemn, Michaellic, Michaelmt, MichaelNen, MichaelRima, MichaelTip, Miguelscosy, Mike, MilaniaLub, MitchMi, MochakGaubs, Mojoklera, Mr. Pat, MS Vice, N7 LAMBO, Nafalemgala, Night, NikollVafe, nikteersetaf, NingalVexy, NoMo201469, Nskonon, Nuadiaovato, ODonnell, Oscar, Osmundlab, PakwanNisp, Panel, PassionGot, Patrick Bateman, Patrickgox, pcitservice, Pedarel, Pesoknogs, PeterWat, phil, Philipnus, PhillipDuabs, phuongtrinhqn1102, Porganinic, Preacher, Psychopathic, pusha, QL, qlertoorgo, QuietStorm, RafaelTozy, Randyexeda, RaymondOvals, Redgecam, ReleSlusy, Remeaccenny, RepeThypeKep, Retiredkar, RetoPl, rexant, Richarddure, Richardhok, RichardKecy, RichardNef, RickyserMa, RiordianEi, robertcort, RobertCOT, Robertfaf, RobertGuart, Robertkem, RobertLymn, RobertMate, rolstrol, RonaldHaG, Ronaldlek, RonaldRiz, RonnieOr, Royml, Rubenelutt, Rudolphet, SamuelPup, SamuelSpoic, Sancholifs, SanuyemMr, SATO, Sean Knight, Sebastianoi, Senocletle, SergeyMi, ShakyorLap, Shaunhew, Shredder, Shylock, smasmorus, Snake, SobotaFub, SPUMMIES, Staind77, Stamos, StanleyCloto, starvinmarvin, Stephenjat, Stephenties, StroySnabbax, Sui, SupernovaPhil88, SurusDads, Sym, Tamkoschki, Tarokka, Temmyjep, TerryPem, ThaMessiah, The Heel, TheGigolo, TheonRom, Thomasbal, ThomasMox, ThomasNom, ThomasSr, Thomastuh, THunter48, Timmy, titurkircoxia, Tommyswill, Trooper, twortourcoxia, ‹bermensch, Ugrasaltep, Umbrakel, Urkrasskt, vadinpkseeta, Vaffentee, Vandornea, Vash, Viktornen, VladimirDymn, VladTek, vnfastacc1, Wallacerelt, Walteremany, WalterGuace, WaykebSlume, WayneDiumb, WesleyOi, WilbertPlurb, WilliamEduro, Williamidelf, Williammaw, WilliamMep, Wiz, yapedPus, Yitzy, Yoyo, zapedPus, Zoso, ZubenFeks, || Oly ||